Acidity and Heartburn Natural Treatments and Get rid of Acidity and Heartburn with Natural Home Remedies
The stomach normally secretes acid that is essential in the digestive process. This acid helps in breaking down the food during digestion. When there is excess production of acid in the stomach, it results in the condition known as acidity or APD.
Normally, there are some protective mechanisms against the acid, in the stomach and proximal intestine. But an imbalance between the protective mechanisms and the level of acid secretion can cause acidity.
Causes of Acidity and Heartburn
Following are the major acidity causes:
1. Due to some problems in the functioning of the digestive system
2. Sometimes excessive intake of alcohol also leads to acidity
3. Acidity also arises either by keeping stomach empty for long time or skipping breakfast
4. Eating foods rich in fats like chocolates also causes acidity
5. Pregnancy, aging or obesity can also cause acidity
6. Eating junk foods, oily and spicy foods also leads to burning sensation in stomach and chest area and causes acidity
Symptoms of Acidity and Heartburn
Following are the major acidity symptoms:
1. Restlessness with continuous cramps in the stomach
2. Other symptoms of acidity are nausea and vomiting
3. Sometimes bellyache is also felt
4. Sour belches and passing off wind
5. Respiratory problems and coughing
How can acidity be prevented?
Acidity can be prevented by avoiding the known causative factors like alcohol consumption, spicy foods, drugs like NSAID's, steroids etc. Regular eating habits and a healthy diet can prevent acidity. People with a highly nervous and emotional disposition and those involved in high-stress jobs could opt for a change in their lifestyle and reduce the stress.
Acidity Treatment and Advice
1. Eat fruits like apple, watermelon and banana
2. Avoid fried food, pickle, hot and spicy food
3. Take your meals on time
4. Drink plenty of water
5. Don’t skip your meals.
6. Avoid garlic, onion, pepper, radish and cabbage
7. Eat green and leafy vegetables
Home Remedies to get rid of Acidity and Heartburn
1. Cut a lemon into thin strips and dip in salt. Eat before meals to prevent heartburn. It is an effective home remedy for heartburn.
2. Take some mint leaves, chop them and boil in a cup of water and sip slowly after meals. It has good results in the treatment of acidity.
3. Eat a banana daily. It is very common natural remedy for acidity.
4. Take a piece of Jaggery (gur) and keep it in the mouth and slowly suck it to reduce the acidity.
5. Drink coconut water 4-5 times a day. It is an effective natural treatment for acidity.
6. Make a fine powder of ginger powder, black pepper, dried mint leaves, asafetida (hing), anise seeds, coriander seeds, cumin, fennel and common salt taken equally. Take one teaspoon of this powder with water, twice a day after meals.
Herbal Remedies for Acidity and Heartburn
1. Chew some basil leaves. It is best natural herbal remedy for acidity.
2. Take Harad (Terminalia chebula) after meal. It is also effective natural remedy for heartburn.
3. Mix one tsp juice of chebulic myroblan with one tsp of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice and drink it for acidity relief